Last week another bridesmaid and I threw a shower for my roommate. She’s already had a couple traditional showers, so we did something a little different. We threw a Mad Men stock the bar shower!
We made the kind of drinks Don, Betty, Peggy, and even obnoxious Pete would drink. Of course, we didn’t drink nearly as many as they would have! We tried old fashioneds and martinis, though I think we all agreed martinis might be better left to the professionals.
I was rather impressed with the spread we pulled together. Cheese tray, crab dip, chocolate fondue, spinach and artichoke dip…though the fondue didn’t really turn out how we thought it would. (Will be trying it again for the bachelorette party!) That was the first time I made the crab dip, and I loved it. It was so easy to make, yet it tasted amazing. I used Laura’s recipe – visit her post for the full recipe and instructions. I’ve included an abbreviated recipe below, but if you have any questions, her post is much more detailed.
- Melt 8 oz cream cheese, 8 oz chive & onion cream cheese, and 4 oz sour cream in a large bowl in the microwave.
- When that’s soft, add in 2 cans of crab meat. I used one can of lump crab, one can of shredded crab.
- Add 2 tbsp worchestire, a dash of seasoned salt, a dash of garlic powder, 1 tbsp sugar, handful of grated sharp cheddar cheese, handful of grated parmesan cheese.
- Stir together until dip is white, then scoop into baking dish.
- Add a layer of parmesan cheese on top (however thick or thin you’d like).
- Bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes.
We didn’t have many decorations, but I did pull out some goodies I found when cleaning out my grandmother’s stuff. Not sure if it is all from the right period. Either way, I liked it
And yes, I made a homemade German chocolate cake.
Seriously homemade. I sifted flour, separated eggs, and whipped egg whites into soft white peaks. (Before this, I had no idea what that meant. I had to watch a YouTube video to learn!) I brushed a rum syrup on each layer of the cake and spread the homemade coconut and pecan filling between them. And I made the icing myself too. (I might make that icing again just to snack on!) The cake was delicious. It was also a lot of work. You can find the recipe for the cake here.
The happy couple – only a few weeks to go!
Overall, I think everyone had a good time. We definitely behaved better than the characters on Mad Men